Minister Doherty reminds people of the schemes available from the Community Welfare Services in the aftermath of Storm Emma

Print page

Minister Doherty reminds people of the schemes available from the Community Welfare Services in the aftermath of Storm Emma


Friday 9th March 2018: Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection, Regina Doherty T.D., is today reminding people who may be in difficult financial circumstances following on from Storm Emma to contact their local Community Welfare Officer as assistance may be available.

The Department may provide assistance to households under the Exceptional Needs Payments (ENP) and Urgent Needs Payments (UNP) schemes. These schemes are available to assist households with meeting expenditure which a person could not reasonably be expected to meet out of their weekly income.   The ENP payment is subject to a means assessment and payments are made at the discretion of the officers administering the scheme, considering all the circumstances.  

The Department may make an Urgent Needs Payment to a person who may not normally qualify for social welfare support but who have an urgent need which they cannot meet from their own resources at this time.  

The Department’s Humanitarian Assistance Scheme is also available to householders whose home has been damaged by flooding and who are not in a position to meet costs for essential needs, household items and in some instances structural repair. The scheme is means tested and assistance is not provided for losses which are covered by insurance or for commercial and business losses.

Minister Doherty said: "I would like everyone to be aware that we have in place measures to help households that are in difficulty because of Storm Emma. Even though the bad weather has ended, for some families the problems are ongoing. I would like them to be aware that we are here to help. Local Community Welfare Officers are experienced at providing assistance to those in difficulty, so please use the service if necessary."

Any person who requires support under these schemes should contact the Department’s Community Welfare Service at their local Intreo Centre who may be able to offer assistance. The Department’s officials will examine applications on a case by case basis, taking into account the exceptional weather conditions. A list of DEASP office contact numbers is available here.

Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection

Contact Details
T: 01 704 3082
Twitter: @welfare_ie

Last modified:09/03/2018