Tánaiste: 10% reduction in Live Register is clear demonstration of jobs-led recovery


Print page

Minister of State Humphreys: Department will further increase supports for jobseekers and employers in 2015

The Tánaiste and Minister for Social Protection, Joan Burton T.D., has today (Wednesday, 3rd December 2014) welcomed the latest Live Register figures, which show a year-on-year reduction of 10%, as a clear demonstration of the jobs-led recovery overseen by the Government.

The Minister of State at the Department of Social Protection, Kevin Humphreys T.D., said very significant progress had been made in reducing unemployment this year, and that the Department would further increase its supports for jobseekers and employers in 2015 to increase this momentum.

The figures from the Central Statistics Office show that there were 352,647 people on the Live Register in November, a reduction of 38,860 or 10% on the same month in 2013. Unemployment now stands at 10.7%, down from a crisis peak of 15.1%.

Long-term unemployment on the Live Register decreased 7.4% year-on-year, falling from 179,758 in November 2013 to 166,472 now.

Commenting on today's figures, the Tánaiste said: "Overall, almost 125,000 people have left the Live Register so far this year to take up work. Importantly, the vast majority of people returning to work are returning to full-time employment, as demonstrated by the separate Quarterly National Household Survey results last week. Through Pathways to Work, the strategy overseen by the Department to help reduce the Live Register, we are making rapid progress in getting people back to work. Together with the Action Plan for Jobs, overseen by Minister Bruton, Pathways is helping to deliver a jobs-led recovery."

Minister of State Humphreys said: "The figures from the Live Register today and Quarterly National Household survey last week confirm the recovery in employment and show that activation programmes are working. Slowly but surely the long term unemployment rate is going down as schemes like JobBridge, Momentum and JobsPlus help those out of work for an extended period of time back into jobs."

The Tánaiste and Minister Humphreys said significant additional resources would be put into supports for jobseekers and employers in 2015 to increase the momentum to date. This will include funding for the Working Family Dividend, a new incentive to help long-term unemployed and lone parent jobseeker families with children to return to work.

The initiative, which will commence early next year, is tailored specifically for people who are unemployed for twelve months or more, who have children and who are returning to work. People who are currently in receipt of jobseeker payments receive an additional increase of €29.80 per week for each child they have, a payment known as a Qualified Child Increase. Under the Back to Work Family Dividend scheme, these jobseekers will retain that payment of €29.80 a week for each child in full for the first year in employment, and will retain half the payment – or €14.90 per child - for the second year in employment. Over the two years, a family with one child will receive additional support of €2,324 to supplement wages. A family with two children will receive €4,649; those with three children will get €6,973, while those with four or more will get €9,298.

The Tánaiste also pointed to the tax changes in the Budget for low and middle-income earners to ensure take-home pay increases for those at work. "From January, workers will see the benefits of the tax changes in their pay packets, beginning the process of ensuring that the recovery is felt by all of those at work."

PRESS RELEASE ENDS

Last modified:03/12/2014