Irish/United States Social Security Agreement - SW91

Print page

In general, you are subject to the Social Security legislation of the country where you work. Therefore, if you come to work in Ireland you will normally be subject to Irish social security law and pay social insurance (PRSI) contributions here.

Similarly, if you go to work in the U.S.A., you will be subject to the U.S.A. social security laws and may have to pay social security contributions there.

Temporary Assignments

If you are sent by an Irish employer to work in the U.S.A. on a temporary assignment, you will continue to pay Irish PRSI contributions up to the first five (5) years of your employment in the U.S.A..

Therefore, if you are at present working in Ireland and are being sent to work in the U.S.A. on a temporary assignment, you or your employer should contact the following section:

PRSI Special Collections
Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection
Cork Road

Telephone: (051) 356000
LoCall 1890 690 690
If calling from outside the Republic of Ireland please call + 51 356000

The rates charged for using 1890 (LoCall) numbers may vary among different service providers.

This should be done as early as possible, so that the necessary forms and advice can be given.

Last modified:13/09/2017

 Application Forms