When and how do I apply?

Print page

Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's Non Contributory Pension Section
Social Welfare Services
College Road


Telephone: (071) 915 7100


LoCall: 1890 500 000

If calling from outside the Republic of Ireland please call + 353  71 915 7100.
Note: The rates charged for using 1890 (LoCall) numbers may vary among different service providers.

Please make sure you fill in your application form fully before sending it in.


Warning: If you fail to apply in time, you may lose some payment.


Certificates to send with your application


When you apply you may need to send us in certificates if the birth(s) or marriage/civil partnership took place outside the Republic of Ireland, such as:

  • your birth certificate,
  • your late spouse's/civil partner's birth certificate,
  • your late spouse's/civil partner's death certificate
  • your civil marriage/civil partnership certificate,

We do not accept photocopies of certificates.

If you are not able to get the certificate(s) immediately, you should send in your pension application form with a note stating that you will send the certificate(s) as soon as possible.

If you are sending in your certificates at a later date, please ensure that you quote your pension claim number.  

Personal Public Service Number (PPS No.)

You must give your PPS Number and the PPS Number of your late spouse or civil partner. If you do not know these numbers, please contact your local Social Welfare Office. They will let you know your PPS Number. If you do not have one they will let you know what you have to do to get one.

For more information, log on to 'www.welfare.ie'.

Last modified:14/10/2019

 Application Forms