Community Employment Programme

Print page

The Community Employment (CE) programme is designed to help people who are long-term unemployed (or otherwise disadvantaged) to get back to work by offering part-time and temporary placements in jobs based within local communities. Participants can take up other part-time work during their placement. After the placement, participants are encouraged to seek permanent jobs elsewhere, based on the experience and new skills they have gained while on a Community Employment scheme.


The Community Employment programme is administered by the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP). Community Employment sponsors are the voluntary organisations or public bodies that manage CE schemes at a local level.


The Department give financial support in the form of allowances and funding to assist with the Community Employment programme, for example participant wages, supervisor grants, materials grants and specific skills training grants.


The training provided through Community Employment is delivered within a Quality Assurance framework. See details of recognised QQI Awards and qualifications which can be achieved and which lead to major awards on the National Framework of Qualifications.


A CE applicant who needs childcare in order to take up a place in a CE schemes is eligible for a CE childcare place. For further detail in relation to how CE childcare places are managed please contact your CE Sponsor or click here.


Detailed information is available in the Community Employment procedures manual.


How you qualify for a CE scheme will depend on your age and your personal situation.


If you are aged between 21 and 55 years
In general, you must be unemployed.


You must also be getting any combination of the following payments for at least 12 months: Jobseeker's Benefit (JB), Jobseeker's Allowance (JA), Jobseeker's Transitional payment (JST), One-Parent Family Payment (OFP), Deserted Wife’s Benefit, Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's Contributory Pension, Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's Non-Contributory Pension or Farm Assist.


Note: If you are aged 21 and over, and are getting JB or JA, you can have worked up to 30 days in the 12 months before starting the CE scheme and still be eligible for the scheme.


Other schemes that count towards the qualifying period

  • If you were getting basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance (SWA) before getting one of the payments listed above, the time on SWA can also count towards the qualifying period for CE, provided there are no breaks between different payments – for example, if you spent 2 months on SWA followed immediately by 10 months on Jobseeker’s Allowance.
  • If you were getting Carer’s Allowance/half rate Carers Allowance/Carers Benefit, the time spent on these payments can also count towards the 12-month eligibility period, but caring responsibilities must have ceased and the person must currently be in receipt of one of the qualifying payments.
  • Time spent on a CE-qualifying disability-related payment can count towards the eligibility period, provided there is no break – for example if you spent 3 months on Illness Benefit followed immediately by 9 months on Jobseeker’s Allowance.
  • Time spent on a recognised training course such as SOLAS/ETB, a VTOS course, Youthreach or in prison may count as part of the qualifying period.
  • Since 1 June 2018, people on the JobPath programme and the Tús scheme are eligible for CE.


Schemes that do not count towards the qualifying period for CE

  • Generally, time spent on Gateway, Rural Social Scheme, Springboard or getting Back to Education Allowance will not count towards the eligibility period. There are some exceptions to this, which can be found in the Community Employment procedures manual.
  • Time spent as a qualified adult dependant on another person’s claim does not count towards CE eligibility.


If you are aged 55 years and over
You must be getting a qualifying social welfare payment for 12 months – as outlined above for people aged between 21 and 55 years.
You can stay on CE for a maximum of 3 consecutive years. It may be possible to re-qualify for CE after a further 12 months on a qualifying payment. See information below for participants aged 62 and over.


If you are aged 62 years and over
Under the Service Support Stream pilot initiative, CE participants aged 62 years and over who meet the eligibility requirements may stay continuously on CE up to the age at which they qualify for a State pension providing that there are places available.

Other ways to qualify for CE
If you do not qualify for CE under the eligibility criteria for your age group above, you may still be eligible for the scheme if you are aged 18 years and over and you are:

  • Getting Disability Allowance, Blind Pension or Invalidity Pension, or
  • Getting Illness Benefit for at least 6 months, or
  • A member of the Traveller community, unemployed and getting Jobseeker's Benefit or Jobseeker's Allowance for any length of time or One-Parent Family Payment for at least 1 year, or
  • A person with refugee status and getting any DEASP payment for any length of time, or
  • Referred following an appropriate assessment according to the National Drugs Rehabilitation Framework protocols, an ex-offender who has been referred by the Probation Service or other designated service, or an ex-offender not referred by a designated service who has been getting JA or JB for 12 months, or
  • Living on one of the offshore islands and currently getting a CE-qualifying payment for 6 months or more (see list of CE-qualifying payments for people aged between 21 and 55 years below).


Duration of scheme
In general, since 3 July 2017, if you are aged between 21 and 55 years, your CE placement is for one year. However, if you are working towards a major award, (level 6 -10 on NFQ) your CE placement can be extended by up to 2 years to complete this award. You won’t get an extension beyond 3 years (or 4 years for people on a disability-linked social welfare payment).

If you are aged over 55, you can remain on CE for 3 consecutive years.


Under the Service Support Stream pilot initiative, if you are aged 62 years and over and meet the CE eligibility requirements, you can stay continuously on CE until you qualify for a State pension, once you meet the terms and conditions of the pilot scheme and providing that there are places available.


In general, the maximum amount of time you can spend on a CE scheme over your lifetime is 6 years (7 years if you are getting a disability-linked social welfare payment). Time spent on CE before 1 January 2007 will not be counted.


If you started on CE before 3 July 2017, you can stay on the scheme under your existing CE eligibility rules, if this is to your advantage.


Working on a CE scheme
You must work for 19.5 hours per week (excluding breaks) for your sponsor to be eligible for a grant towards the cost of wages. Your sponsor may agree with DEASP to arrange your work hours differently for example, 39 hours every second week, or 19.5 hours every week, in combinations of full or half days or 2.5 days per week.


You are paid weekly by your sponsor and you have certain statutory employment rights including annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave and a written statement of your terms and conditions of employment. Tax may be deducted from your pay, if applicable, but your CE pay is exempt from the Universal Social Charge.


You are entitled to a maximum of 56 hours (7 full days) of medically certified sick leave in a 52 week period. The DEASP provides the sponsor with a support grant towards the payment of sick leave. In general, there is no payment for uncertified sick leave.


However, in certain cases the DEASP officer may allow, a maximum of 2 uncertified days (8 hours) in any 12 month period. Detailed information on sick leave is available in the Community Employment Procedures Manual.


CE participants pay PRSI at Class A8/A9, which counts as a full Class A contribution. If your CE payment is less than €352 a week, you do not pay any employee contribution. If your CE payment is over €352 a week, you pay an employee PRSI contribution. Detailed information is available in the Community Employment Procedures Manual.


Age limit: Funding is not provided for CE participants who have reached the qualifying age for a State pension, that is:

  • 66 for participants born before 1 January 1955
  • 67 for participants born on or after 1 January 1955
  • 68 for participants born on or after 1 January 1961


Childcare: If you need childcare in order to become a CE participant, you may be eligible for the Community Employment Childcare (CEC) programme, which provides subsidised childcare places for children up to the age of 13. You should contact your sponsor for more details about the CEC programme.


Training and development: You should be given access to training and development and you should be supported with addressing any barriers to employment.


Social welfare payments
Since 16 January 2012, people starting on CE schemes cannot claim a CE payment and another social welfare payment at the same time.


However, CE participants who were on CE before this change, and who have been getting One-Parent Family Payment, Deserted Wife's Benefit, a disability payment or a Widow’s, Widower’s or Surviving Civil Partner’s Pension, will continue to get their social welfare payment until they are no longer eligible to participate in a CE scheme or they leave the scheme voluntarily. Any Qualified Child Increase is paid with either your social welfare payment or your CE payment, but not with both.


Other payments and CE: If you get a place on a CE scheme and your spouse or partner is claiming Jobseeker's Allowance (JA), Disability Allowance (DA) or Farm Assist in their own right, they can claim an Increase for a Qualified Adult with their JA, DA or Farm Assist. Your income from the CE scheme (as a single person) is then assessed as insurable employment against their payment.


Extra benefits
You will keep your medical card while on CE.

You will keep your entitlement to the extra benefits you were getting immediately before going onto CE, provided you continue to satisfy the conditions for these benefits.

The amount of Rent Supplement that you get may be reduced. You may be able to keep part of your Mortgage Interest Supplement.

The minimum weekly payment for new participants based on 19.5 hours worked is €225.50 with effect from 25 March 2019.

If the actual social welfare payment (including dependants) you were getting was €203 a week or less, then you will get the minimum CE weekly rate of €225.50 (that is €203 plus €22.50).

If your actual weekly social welfare payment (including dependants) was €203.01 or more, then you will get the same rate as your social welfare payment plus €22.50.


Additional income: If you have any additional income, for example, from part-time work, it will not affect your CE payment. However, the rules on change of circumstances that apply to your original social welfare payment also apply to your CE payment. For example, if your qualified adult gets a job, their income will be assessed as means and your CE payment may be reduced. However, your CE payment cannot be reduced below the current minimum rate of €225.50.


In order to avoid any possible overpayments, if there is any change in your circumstances, you should immediately inform your CE supervisor and the local DEASP Community Development Officer responsible for your CE scheme. (Your CE supervisor will give you contact details for the local DEASP Community Development Officer.) There is more information about change of circumstances in section 3.2.6 of the Community Employment Procedures Manual.


Spouses or partners and CE: If you are on a CE scheme and your spouse or partner gets a place on a CE scheme, you will each get a single rate of the CE payment together with half of the Increases for a Qualified Child for any dependent children.


How to apply
To participate in the Community Employment programme, you must register at your local Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office.

There are a limited number of CE places available. Your Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office can provide information about CE job opportunities. Job listings are also available online.

Voluntary organisations and public bodies may sponsor CE projects that are for community and public benefit. They should contact their Intreo Centre for more information.

Leaving and re-entry to Community Employment

If you leave a CE scheme, you cannot participate in another CE scheme for 12 months after you leave, and you must be getting a qualifying payment for those 12 months.

If you have the opportunity of full-time work, you can take one period of temporary unpaid leave with your sponsor’s agreement for up to 26 weeks. If the work opportunity continues beyond 26 weeks, you must leave the CE scheme.


Where to apply
Contact your local Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office for further information about Community Employment.​​​​​

Last modified:11/11/2019

 Find a job

Search for a job on img

 Intreo/Local Office Locator

Search for your local office

 Application Forms