N�l an leathanach seo ar f�il as Gaeilge f�s

Print page

In general, you are subject to the Social Security legislation of the country where you work.

Therefore, if you come to work in Ireland you will normally be subject to Irish social security law and pay social insurance (PRSI) contributions here.

Similarly, if you go to work in Australia, you will be subject to Australian social security laws and may have to pay social security contributions there.

Temporary Assignments

If you are sent by an Irish employer to work in Australia on a temporary assignment, you will continue to pay Irish PRSI contributions up to the first four (4) years of your employment in Australia.

If your assignment lasts longer than 4 years the agreement may be extended with the prior agreement of the two countries.

Therefore, if you are at present working in Ireland and are being sent to work in Australia on a temporary assignment, you or your employer should contact the following section:

PRSI Special Collections
Department of Social Protection
Cork Road

LoCall: 1890 690 690 (from the Republic of Ireland only), or +353 14 715898 (from Northern Ireland or overseas).

This should be done as early as possible, so that the necessary forms and advice can be given.

Last modified:19/09/2011

 Foirmeacha Iarratais