The Department of Social and Family Affairs today (20 December 2007) published a document -
Statistical Information on Social Welfare Services, 2006 - which outlines key statistics from the Department's programmes in
2006 together with broader trends over the last 10 years.
In 2006, 1.5 million people benefited directly from weekly social welfare payments which were paid to over 1 million recipients. The report shows that spending on the State Pension amounted that year to €3.3 billion, an increase of 11.3 % over 2005. Payments were made to some 340,000 people in this area. The statistical report also shows an increase in expenditure on the Carer's Allowance and Carer's Benefit by 27.6% and 74% respectively. The numbers in receipt of a carer's payment increased from 25,837 to 29,121 an increase of 12.7%.
Speaking about the statistical report, now in its 24th year of publication, Minister for Social and Family Affairs, Martin Cullen
TD, said: "Supports administered by the Department provide for the complex and often multi-faceted needs of people at every stage of life. Continuing to reflect the trend of recent years and re-affirming the Government's commitment to the welfare of all those in need of support, social welfare programmes expenditure increased to
€13.6 billion in 2006 - an increase of 11.7% over the previous year."
The main features of the Department's activities in 2006 were:
- Over 1 million people were in receipt of a weekly Social Welfare payment, which was paid in respect of 1.5 million beneficiaries.
- Total Social Welfare expenditure was financed by the Exchequer (53.4%) and the Social Insurance Fund (46.6%).
- Expenditure on Old Age (now the State Pension) increased by 11.3% to €3.3 billion. Payments were made to some 340,000 people in this area.
- Family Income Supplement was paid in respect of 21,800 families with 43,861 children, an increase of 24.9% on the previous year. Expenditure on Family Income Supplement increased by 48.5% to €107 million.
- Overall expenditure on Employment Supports increased by €47 million in 2006, an increase of 19.4% over 2005.
- 562,860 families received a monthly Child Benefit payment, which was paid in respect of 1,083,980 children. Expenditure on Child Benefit increased by 8.2% to €2.1 billion.
- Expenditure on Carer's Allowance and Carer's Benefit increased by 27.6% and 74.0% respectively. (The numbers in receipt of a carer's payment increased from 25,837 to 29,121, an increase of 12.7%).
- Expenditure on Jobseeker's Benefit and Jobseeker's Allowance rose by over €36 million and €101 million compared with 2005, increases of 8.8% and 15.2% respectively.
- Expenditure on the Supplementary Welfare Allowance amounted to over €635 million in 2006, an increase of 1.8% on 2005.
- Expenditure on Rent Supplements rose by over €19 million in 2006, an increase of 5.3%.
- The number of recipients of Rent Supplement at the end of 2006 was 59,860, an increase of 0.5% on 2005.
Michelle Hoctor, 087 8563070
Oonagh Duffy, 087 254 9683
The report is accessible on the Department's website at the following web address: