Homemaker's Scheme - SW 1

Print page

You do not need to apply if you are getting Child Benefit (and are providing the child with fulltime care), Carer’s Allowance, Carer’s Benefit or Respite Care Grant. We will treat your claim for Child Benefit, Carer’s Allowance, Carer’s Benefit or Respite Care Grant as an application to become a homemaker and will note this on your insurance record automatically.

If you are not getting any of these payments, but you have cared for a child under age 12 or an ill or disabled person age 12 or over at any time from 6
April 1994, you should apply to become a homemaker.

Only one person in your home can be a homemaker at any one time. If you stop being a homemaker and your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant takes over
homemaking duties, tell us immediately to make sure you do not lose any entitlements under the Homemaker’s Scheme.

Child Benefit is normally paid to the child’s mother. A stay-at-home father will need to complete application form HM 1.

Last modified:23/10/2013

 Application Forms