Who is considered a Volunteer Development Worker (VDW)?

Print page

A person is classified as a VDW by the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection if they are working temporarily outside Ireland in a developing country on “Volunteer Terms” and their work has been arranged by or through:

  • a non-governmental agency in Ireland
  • a governmental or non-governmental agency in any Member of the European Union (other than Ireland)
  • or

  • directly with the Government of the developing country.

“Volunteer Terms” means that the remuneration you receive for the work undertaken is consistent with local rates of pay in the developing country.

Last modified:10/02/2015