To become a homemaker, you must:
- permanently live in the State (exception may be made where provisions under EU or posted worker regulations apply),
- be under age 66,
- have started insurable employment or self-employment on or after age 16 and before age 56, and
- not work full-time (but you can work and earn less than €38 gross per week).
Before 26 October 2000, you must have also lived with the person you were looking after.
Since 26 October 2000, if you are not living with this person:
- a direct system of communication must exist between your home and the person being cared for, for example by telephone or alarm system, and
- the person being cared for must not already be receiving full-time care and attention within their own home from anyone else.
You do not need to register for the scheme if you are getting Child Benefit, Carer’s Allowance, Carer’s Benefit or Carer's Support Grant (replaces Respite Care Grant). If you are not getting any of these payments, you may still become a homemaker.