When and how do I apply for Blind Pension?

Print page

You should apply 4 months before your 18th birthday. If you qualify, you will be paid the pension from the date you reach age 18.

If you become blind after reaching age 18, you should apply as soon as the condition arises. If you qualify, you may only get your payment from the date we get your application.

To apply: fill in the BP 1 application form and send it with the correct certificates (if the birth, marriage, civil partnership or civil union took place outside the Republic of
Ireland and other documents) to:

Blind Pension Section
Social Welfare Services
College Road

LoCall: 1890 50 00 00 (from the Republic of Ireland only)
+ 353 71 9157100 (from Northern Ireland or overseas)

If you cannot complete the application form, somebody may do it for you.

You may contact us to get a braille version and audio cassette tape of this information booklet and of application form BP 1. For more details, contact Information Services at:

Information Services
Social Welfare Services
College Road

LoCall: 1890 66 22 44 (from the Republic of Ireland only)
+ 353 71 9193313 (from Northern Ireland or overseas)

Personal Public Service Number (PPS Number)

You must give your PPS Number and the PPS Number of your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant. You must also give us the PPS Number(s) for any child(ren) for whom you

intend to claim a payment. If you do not know these numbers, please contact your local Social Welfare Office. They will let you know your PPS Number(s). If you do not
have one they will let you know what you have to do to get one. For more information, log on to www.welfare.ie.

Certificates to send with your application

When you apply for Blind Pension you may need to send us in certificates if the birth(s), marriage, civil partnership or civil union took place outside the Republic of Ireland,
such as:
  • your birth certificate,
  • your spouse, civil partner's or cohabitants birth certificate,
  • your marriage certificate or civil partnership or civil union registration certificate,
  • your qualified child(ren)’s birth certificate(s). Note: No birth certificate is needed if you are already getting Child Benefit for these children.

We do not accept photocopies of certificates.

If you are not able to get the certificate(s) immediately, you should send in your pension application form with a note stating that you will send the certificate(s) as soon as possible.

If you are sending in your certificates at a later date, please ensure that you quote your PPS Number.

Please send in a letter from a school or college if you are claiming for a qualified child, aged 18-22 in fulltime education.

Last modified:31/01/2013