Disability Allowance - SW29

Print page

You may get payments for a qualified adult and any qualified children.

Who is a qualified adult?

A qualified adult is your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant.

If you have children living with you and you are single, widowed or separated, a qualified adult is the person who is caring for your child(ren), provided the person is aged 16 or over, living with and being supported by you.

You will not get an increase for a qualified adult if they:

  • are receiving a social welfare payment (except Disablement Pension, Supplementary Welfare Allowance, Guardian’s Payment (Contributory) or (Non-Contributory), Child Benefit, Family Income Supplement or half rate Carer’s Allowance) in their own right,
  • are disqualified from receiving unemployment payments while taking part in a trade dispute,
  • are taking part in a full-time FÁS non-craft training course, Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme, Back to Work Allowance, Back to Work Enterprise Allowance, Part-Time Job Incentive or The national internship scheme, JobBridge.

Who is a qualified child?

A qualified child is any child under age 18 who normally lives with and is being supported by you or up to age 22 if they are in full-time education by day at a recognised school or college.

In the case of a couple, you may get a weekly increase for qualified children at either the full rate or half-rate.

  • If you qualify for an increase for your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant, you may get the full-rate Qualified Child Increase.
  • If your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant is also getting a social welfare payment, you will each get half the appropriate Qualified Child Increase with your weekly payments.

You may not get an increase for a qualified child if the child is getting a social welfare or Health Service Executive (HSE) payment in their own right, such as Disability Allowance or One-Parent Family Payment.

Last modified:13/04/2015

 Application Forms