What happens if I want to apply for Disablement Benefit later?

Print page

You may qualify if you:

  • work and pay PRSI at Class A, B*, D, J or M, and
  • lose physical or mental abilities because of:
    • an accident at work,
    • a commuter accident on a direct route between your home and your workplace, or
    • a prescribed disease contracted at work.

*Under the Occupational Injuries Scheme, civil servants insured at PRSI Class B cannot get Disablement Benefit for the first 26 weeks after the date of the accident. They may get half the standard rate of Disablement Benefit after this period (the other half is paid by the parent Department or state organisation involved).

Last modified:02/06/2009