What happens if I do not apply in time?

Print page

If you applied for Carer's Allowance after you thought you may have qualified for it, you may be entitled to have the payment backdated in certain cases.

Also, you may request a review of your application or award if you failed to or delayed apply because you got incorrect or insufficient information from an officer of this Department.

Note: We cannot backdate Carer's Allowance because you were not aware of the payment when you started caring duties.

When requesting a review of the date of your application, you must show that both you and the person being cared for met the conditions for Carer's Allowance over the period in question. The onus of proof is on you, the applicant.

A Deciding Officer carries out a review, but you can appeal their decision to the Chief Appeals Officer.


Last modified:25/09/2014

 Application Forms