- ECS is paid monthly in arrears. With effect from March 2009 the rate was €83 per month per child up to and including the month the child reaches 5 years.
- The June 2009 payment, in respect of May, will be €41.50 per month per child until the month the child reaches 5 or until December 2009, whichever comes first.
- In cases where children are born or come to live in Ireland from January 2009, payment of ECS starts the month after they are first paid CB. The last made in the month after that in which children are 5 years or until December 2009, whichever comes first.
- The last ECS payment will be in respect of November 2009, and will be paid in December 2009.
- From January 2010 ECS will be replaced with a free pre-school year of Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) for all children between the ages of 3 years 3 months and 4 years 6 months. Details of this scheme are avaialble from the Office of the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs. Locall 1890 30 30 39.
Early Childhood Care and Education Scheme
Changes in Child Benefit and Early Childcare Supplement - 2009