The Bill is designed to give legislative effect to a range of Social Welfare measures announced in the Budget Statement of 5 December 2012, which are due to come into effect in early 2013, and a number of miscellaneous amendments to the Social Welfare Code.
The Bill provides for the following changes arising from Budget 2013 -
- Changes in relation to certain Pay-Related Social Insurance (PRSI) contributions,
- Reduction in the maximum duration of Jobseeker’s Benefit,
- Changes in the assessment of income from farming and fishing for means-tested social assistance payments,
- Reduction in the monthly rate of Child Benefit,
- Reduction in the Respite Care Grant,
- Abolition of the employer rebate in respect of statutory redundancy lump-sum payments paid to employees, and
- Facilitation of the recovery of a greater amount of overpayments through weekly deductions from social welfare payments.
The Bill also provides for a number of miscellaneous amendments to the Social Welfare Code which arise mainly as a consequence of the Budget 2012 measure to provide for a new structure of reduced rates in the case of contributory pension schemes.
The Bill comprises 3 Parts and 14 Sections.
View the Social Welfare Bill 2012 in full (PDF, 1MB)