Humanitarian Assistance Scheme

Print page


If you have been flooded you may be able to get financial help from the Department of Social Protection’s Humanitarian Assistance Scheme. The means-tested scheme provides emergency financial assistance to households who are not able to meet costs for essential needs immediately following flooding. The scheme aims to provide financial support to people who have suffered damage to their home. It is designed to alleviate hardship rather than provide full compensation for damage.

Two new leaflets are available for people who have been affected by flooding:

Leaflet - Schemes Available For People Affected by Recent Flooding (pdf)

Booklet - Government Assistance For People Affected by Flooding (pdf)

There is a separate emergency scheme to help small businesses administered by the Irish Red Cross.

If you are affected by flooding in any of the following areas you can contact the Department of Social Protection at the numbers below:

Areas affected

Athlone, Co. Westmeath

(090) 6449650

Co. Clare, Co. Limerick

(061) 436010, (061) 436027

Co. Cork, Co. Kerry

(021) 4805475

Co. Galway

(091) 536773

Co. Mayo

(094) 9063707

Co. Sligo, Co. Leitrim, Co. Donegal

(071) 9113765

Co. Longford (043) 3340005

Co. Cavan, Co. Louth, Co. Monaghan

(042) 9392686

Counties Offaly, Laois, Kilkenny, North and South Tipperary

(057) 931 854

​Co. Waterford

​(051) 356000
​Co. Wexford ​(053) 9165400
​Co. Carlow ​086 8371159
Co. Wicklow

(​0) 2117958


If you have been affected by flooding and meet a means test you may be eligible.

What is covered by the scheme?

1. Emergency income support payments.

2. Damage to your home and its essential contents, such as:

  • Carpets
  • Flooring
  • Furniture
  • Household appliances and bedding.

3. Structural damage may also be considered.

What is not covered under the scheme?

  • Commercial and business losses
  • Losses covered by an insurance policy
  • Loss or damage to private rented accommodation or local authority accommodation

Income test

The income test determines your household’s ability to meet the costs of restoring your home to a habitable condition. All household income will be considered.

Single people: If you have a gross household income of €30,000 or less you will get 100% of the amount allowable. For each whole €1,000 of household income above €30,000 you will be required to make a 1% contribution to the amount allowable.

For example if you are single and have a gross household income of €35,000 you will get 95% of the amount allowable (€5,000 over the income limit of €30,000 = 5% personal contribution towards the loss).

Couples: If you are married, in a civil partnership or cohabiting and have a household income of €50,000 or less you will get 100% of the amount allowable. For each whole €1,000 of household income above €50,000 you will be required to make a 1% contribution to the amount allowable.

Children: The income limits are increased by €10,000 for each qualified child.

One-parent household: The income limits that apply to couples also apply to one-parent households - €50,000 plus €10,000 for each dependent child.

Non-dependent adult household members: For each non-dependent adult member of the household 20% of their gross income is added to the household income.

For example, a couple with a gross income of €45,000 with a non-dependent adult in the house with an income of €20,000 will receive 100% of the amount allowable as the household income is less than €50,000 (€45,000 + €4,000 [€20,000 x 20%] = €49,000).

People who opted not to insure: If you had no insurance and you do not have reasonable grounds for not having insurance, you will be expected to contribute the first €2,000 toward the amount allowable and your personal contribution will be 2% for each whole €1,000 above the appropriate income level for your household.

How much can be paid to individual applicants?

Levels of payment will depend on the relative severity of damage experienced and your ability to meet these costs.

Where structural work is an issue, the Department may get advice from a loss adjustor.

In assessing cases for humanitarian assistance, account will be taken of Exceptional Needs Payments and Urgent Needs Payments already paid out.

How to apply

To apply for Humanitarian Assistance you should complete the Humanitarian Assistance application form (pdf). This form is also available from your local office.

Where available you must include the following with your application:

  • Evidence of household income (payslips etc)
  • Estimates for repairs or replacement
  • A copy of your insurance policy
  • Paid invoices/receipts
  • Any other information which may support your claim

Where to apply

To apply for Humanitarian Assistance contact the Department of Social Protection's representative (formerly known as the Community Welfare Officer) at your local office.

Last modified:13/01/2016

 Related Topics


 Application Forms


 Intreo/Local Office Locator

Search for your local office