To qualify for free travel with a Free Travel Pass, you must be living permanently in the State and be aged 66 or over.
If you are
under age 66 and permanently living in the State, you will qualify for a Free Travel Pass if
one of the statements below applies to you:
- You are getting one of the following payments:
- Invalidity Pension,
- Blind Pension,
- Disability Allowance,
- Incapacity Supplement or Workmen's Compensation with Disablement Pension, for at least 12 months,
- Carer's Allowance, (you may get a single status pass only, if you are under age 66),
- social security invalidity payment, or a similar payment, for at least 12 months, from a country covered by EC Regulations, or from a country with which Ireland has a Bilateral Social Security Agreement.
See below for details.
- You are a specified carer for a person getting Constant Attendance Allowance or Prescribed Relatives Allowance from this Department (you may get a single status pass only, if you are under age 66),
- You are blind or severely visually impaired and you satisfy the medical conditions for the Blind Pension,
- You are a widow, widower or surviving civil partner aged 60 to 65 inclusive and your late spouse or civil partner held a Free Travel Pass and at the time of their death, you were permanently living together. In this case, you must be getting one of the following payments:
- State Pension (Transition) (from age 65),
- Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's Contributory Pension,
- Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's Non-Contributory Pension,
- One-Parent Family Payment,
- Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's Pension under the Occupational Injuries Benefits Scheme,
- a similar social security payment from a country covered by EC Regulations, or from a country with which Ireland has a Bilateral Social Security Agreement.
(See below for details),
ordinary Garda Widow's Pension from the Department of Justice and Law Reform.
The countries covered by either EC Regulations or under a Bilateral Agreement are:
- Channel Islands
- Czech Republic
- Isle of Man
- New Zealand
- Republic of Cyprus (Cyprus South)
- Republic of Korea
- the Netherlands
- the United Kingdom
- the United States of America