A project is a work programme that a group or organisation wishes to undertake. A good project will have a plan of action with specific outcomes, and a specific period in which those outcomes will be achieved. The Department of Social Protection is interested in approving projects which may last from 1 to 3 years; support will always be conditional upon annual review and the availability of funds.
Projects which are eligible are those which:
- Respond to an identified community need;
- Provide development for participants in areas involving heritage, arts, culture, tourism, sport and the environment;
- Have the agreement of relevant trade unions;
- Do not displace or replace existing jobs;
- Offer valuable work experience for participants.
Projects which are not eligible are those which:
- Are politically or commercially orientated;
- Involve a substantial trading element;
- Enhance private property;
- Result in private gain.
Department of Social Protection staff can advise sponsors further on eligibility.