D - Adult Basic Education
- What is Adult Basic Education?
- How do I apply?
1. What is Adult Basic Education?
Adult Basic Education is a free and confidential service that is available in over 100 literacy schemes throughout Ireland. This service is there to meet your individual needs, whatever your level of education.
You can get either one-to-one or group tuition in a relaxed, informal atmosphere. Tutors, who are specially trained to teach adults, offer support and encouragement as you work at improving your level of skill in reading, writing, spelling and basic maths.
You can get tuition on a part-time basis, during the day or in the evenings, up to two or three times a week. Courses can lead to qualifications such as City and Guilds Certificate and FETAC accreditation, and can also prepare you to sit Junior Certificate exams in some subjects. Crèche facilities are available with some Literacy Schemes.
2. How do I apply?
If you would like to use the Adult Basic Education service, contact any of the following:
- the Adult Education Organiser, or Literacy Organiser, in your local ETB,
- NALA, the National Adult Literacy Agency, LoCall 1800 20 20 65 (from the Republic of Ireland only) or +353 1 4127900 (from Northern Ireland or overseas).
- Aontas, the National Association of Adult Education; telephone (01) 406 8220 or 406 8221.