Voluntary Contributions - SW8

Print page

It is not always necessary to pay voluntary contributions, if you cease employment. If you are in receipt of a social welfare payment, or signing for credits, you may be due credited contributions (or ‘credits’) which will also keep your social insurance record up to date. You can check whether you are getting credits on your social welfare payment by contacting your local Intreo Centre or your local Social Welfare Office.

For more information, log on to www.welfare.ie.

Leaving work due to illness

If you are unfit for work because of illness, injury or disability, you may be entitled to ‘credits’. ‘Credits’ are normally awarded automatically, if you are getting Illness Benefit, Invalidity Pension or Occupation Injury Benefit. If you work in the Public Service and pay PRSI at class B, C or D and you have to give up work because of ill-health, you can maintain your social insurance record by sending in medical certificates once a year. You can apply for these ‘credits’ by completing application form CR 35.

You should send your completed CR35 form to:

Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection
Client Eligibility Services
McCarter's Road
Co. Donegal

Telephone: (01) 4715 898
LoCall: 1890 690 690
If you are calling from outside the Republic of Ireland please call + 353 1 4715898

Leaving work to care for someone

If you leave the workforce to care for someone you may qualify for a payment from this Department, such as Carer’s Allowance or Carer’s Benefit. You may also be entitled to ‘credits’ while you receive these payments.

For more information, log on to www.welfare.ie.

Last modified:13/09/2017

 Application Forms