Comments or Complaints

Print page

Comments or Complaints Procedures

Please mail to submit any comments or complaints. Your comments will be dealt with in confidence.

This information will help us improve our service to you. So please Help Us to Help You.

How to Complain?

Firstly, make the complaint. You can do this in person at one of our public offices, by phone, by accessing our website at '' or someone else can make the complaint on your behalf.

The staff there will try to resolve your complaint as soon as possible. If however, the complaint is not resolved immediately, or if you are unhappy about the response you receive, you can ask for the complaint to be reviewed by the manager or supervisor. The manager at your local office is responsible for all issues concerning his/her office and will investigate your complaint.

If you are still not satisfied with the response, you can have your complaint referred to the Local Manager/Section Manager/Officer designated to handle complaints.

Information You Should Provide When Making a Complaint

The following will speed up the handling of your complaint:

  • Your name, Address and Personal Public Service Number (PPS No) - this used to be the old RSI Number
  • State your Complaint
  • State the Name of the Office and of the Staff Members Names (if known) you were dealing with
  • Your daytime phone number (if you have one), if you would like to be contacted by phone - this could speed up dealing with your complaint.
  • If the complaint is complicated, you might prefer to put it in writing - this will ensure that all details are given.

Please send/give this form to your local social welfare officer or public office or to the supervisor in the office dealing with your claim.

Our Information Service phone number is LoCall 1890 662244

Our Website is ''

The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection will aim in all cases to resolve the complaint immediately. However, if this is not possible in your case the Department will:

  • record the details of the complaint and acknowledge that we have received it
  • give you a contact name and telephone number
  • where we are at fault, apologise and correct the error as soon as possible
  • consider whether we can learn from what has happened or try to ensure it does not happen again
  • explain why, if your complaint cannot be resolved for any reason beyond our control.

If you are still not satisfied...

If you are still not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you can refer it to the Office of the Ombudsman

Last modified:17/09/2012

 Application Forms