Free Travel - SW 40

Print page

Your Spouse, Civil Partner or Cohabitant

To qualify for free travel you must register for the Public Services Card.

If you are registered for the Public Services Card, you will receive a Public Services Card Free Travel if you qualify.  If you are not registered for the Public Services Card, you will receive a letter requesting you to make an appointment to register.

If you qualify for a Free Travel Card and you are married, in a civil partnership or cohabiting, you may get a Free Travel Card that allows your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant to join you for free when travelling. This does not apply if you are under age 66 and you are getting Carer's Allowance or you are a nominated carer for a person who gets Constant Attendance Allowance or Prescribed Relatives Allowance from this Department.

If you are married or in a civil partnership you will get the correct type of pass (to allow your spouse or civil partner to accompany you free of charge) whether you apply for a Free Travel Pass or get one automatically.

If you are cohabiting, you must apply for this type of pass by completing registration form FTPSC1.

A companion (if you cannot travel alone)

You may be eligible to get a Free Travel Companion Card if you are medically assessed as unfit to travel alone. This type of pass allows any one person, aged 16 or over, to accompany you for free, when travelling. See Appendix 1 for the conditions for getting a Free Travel Companion Card.

If you wish to apply for this type of pass you should contact Free Travel Section at the address in section 3.

Only the named person can use the Public Services Card Free Travel, you cannot let another person use it.

Last modified:15/05/2015