Illness Benefit - SW 119

Print page

You must apply for written permission before you start training or education. Failure to do so could lead to loss of payment of Illness Benefit.

You may do the following types of work without getting written permission from the Department:

  • light work for which no payment is, or would normally be payable,
  • work which is done as part of treatment while you are a patient in hospital or other similar place provided the earnings are not more than €50 per week,
  • work done under a charitable scheme, provided that the earnings are not more than €50 per week.

If you wish to start any other type of employment while in receipt of Illness Benefit you must apply for Partial Capacity Benefit.

Partial Capacity Benefit is a social welfare scheme which allows you to return to work (if you have reduced capacity to work) and continue to receive a payment from this Department.

To qualify for Partial Capacity Benefit you need to be currently in receipt of either:

  • Illness Benefit (for a minimum of 6 months), or
  • Invalidity Pension.

You may not work until you have received written approval to do so from this Department. There is no restriction on earnings or the number of hours you can work.

For further information log on to

Last modified:08/09/2016

 Application Forms