Can I qualify for the increase if I live in separate accommodation within a private dwelling?

Print page

Yes, if you live in a ‘granny flat’ or in separate accommodation within a private dwelling, you may qualify for the increase. However, there must be separate sleeping and living areas and you must have everything you need to cook, eat and wash up within your living area.

You may still have social contact with others in the same dwelling and, if relevant, you may share any bathroom and toilet facilities or external entrance with them.

In order to satisfy the living alone condition, it would generally be expected that you would have locks on the doors to your living area, unless the other residents of the dwelling are members of your family.

Last modified:04/04/2013

 Application Forms