- Countries Involved
- Payments Covered
- Extra Benefits
- More Information
There are special Social Security Agreements with the following countries:
- Canada (see information leaflet SW 84)
- Republic of Korea (see information leaflet SW 125)
- Australia (see information leaflet SW 87)
- the United States of America (see information leaflet SW 91)
- New Zealand (see information leaflet SW 95)
- Québec (see information leaflet SW 96)
- Switzerland (largely superceded by EC Regulations) - (see information leaflet SW 97).
- United Kingdom coverning those parts of the United Kingdom that are outside of the European Union i.e. Isle of Man and the Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, Herm and Jethou.) (see information leaflet SW123)
- Japan (see information leaflet SW129)
These agreements protect the pension entitlements of Irish people who go to work in these countries and they protect workers from those countries who work in Ireland.
They allow periods of Irish social insurance and depending on the legislation in the other country, periods of residence/contributions which are completed in the second country to be taken into account so that the worker may have his/her entitlement to a pension determined.
They also include arrangements for posted workers who are sent on temporary work assignments from one country to the other by deciding which country's social security legislation will apply to the workers.
The Agreements cover the following Irish payments:
• State Pension (Contributory)
• State Pension (Transition)
• Invalidity Pension
• Widow's/Widower's (Contributory) Pension
• Guardian's Payment (Contributory).
For details of the payments from countries covered by Bilateral Social Security Agreements see individual information leaflets as listed above.
It is possible for a person to qualify for a payment from both Ireland and one/all of these countries at the same time.
Recipients of Irish and/or social security pensions from any of these countries who are living in Ireland may qualify for the extra benefits available under the Irish Social Security System, subject to satisfying the qualifying conditions.
The extra benefits are:
• Fuel Allowance
• Free Travel
• Household Benefits Package (Electricity/Natural Gas/Bottled Gas Refill Allowance, Free Television Licence and Telephone Allowance).
You can get more information about these agreements from:
Client Eligibility Services
Social Welfare Services
Department of Social and Family Affairs
LoCall 1890 690 690 (from the Republic of Ireland Only)#
If residing outside Ireland + 353 51 356000
Note: The rates charged for using 1890 (LoCall) numbers may vary among different service providers.