A conference to:
- Enable key stakeholders to develop a comprehensive understanding of the nature, experience and impact of poverty and social exclusion in rural communities and the factors that have determined or influenced this social exclusion.
- Gain a better understanding of the interplay of rural development, regional development and social inclusion policies and explore the possibilities and opportunities for improved interfaces and synergies between these policies.
- Facilitate the development of an Action Framework as a European Year legacy that will:
- Outline the challenges faced in addressing poverty and social exclusion in rural communities and locating these within the linked issues and contexts of regional development and environmental and rural sustainability
- Provide a set of guiding principles and a strategic outline to inform future social inclusion strategies and actions
Pobal are inviting those interested in combating rural poverty and social exclusion both North and South. There is no fee for this conference. The conference is supported through funding from the Social Inclusion Unit in the Department of Community, Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs.
- Develop an informed and agreed Action Framework to address poverty and social exclusion in rural communities in both jurisdictions
- Facilitate the emergence of a more comprehensive and challenging understanding of rural social exclusion
- Explore and identify the type of strategies now required to impact on social exclusion and poverty levels in rural communities
- Outline the nature, context and dynamics of poverty and social exclusion in rural communities, locating it within wider regional development issues and an all-island & EU context
- Identify models of best practice and potential good practice that has emerged from successive social inclusion and rural policies and programmes
- Identify impediments that prevent the development and implementation of effective strategies.
21st October 2010, 9am registration
Boyne Valley Hotel, Drogheda, Co. Louth
More detailed conference information and registration details will follow.
The Pobal website
http://www.pobal.ie/ will have all the latest updates.
Contact Majella Carmody for any other enquiries at
00 353 1 5117159