When and how do I apply?

Print page

You can apply by completing the enclosed application form WCP 1. Send your completed application form to:

Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's Contributory Pension Section
Social Welfare Services
College Road

Telephone: (071) 9157100
LoCall: 1890 500 000
If calling from outside the Republic of Ireland please call + 353 71 9157100
Note: The rates charged for using 1890 (LoCall) numbers may vary among different service providers.


You must apply within 12 months of becoming eligible, otherwise you may lose payment.

Certificates needed with your claim

You need to include the original version of the following certificates with your claim:

  • Your birth certificate (if born outside the Republic of Ireland)
  • Your civil marriage certificate (if married outside the Republic of Ireland) church marriage certificate is not acceptable
  • Your Civil Partnership Certificate (if civil partnership was registered outside the Republic of Ireland)
  • Your late spouse's/civil partner's birth certificate (if born outside the Republic of Ireland)
  • Your late spouse's/civil partner's death certificate (if they died outside the Republic of Ireland) or memoriam card or press cutting showing date of death
  • Your dependent child(ren)'s birth certificates (if born outside the Republic of Ireland) and (if applying for a Qualified Child Increase and not getting Child Benefit for them).

Photocopies of certificates are not accepted.

If you cannot get any of the required certificates immediately, you should send in your application with a note to say that you will send them in as soon as possible.

A widow, widower or surviving civil partner living in the State, or abroad, can apply.

If you are living in one of the countries listed in section 4 you should apply to the Social Security agency in that state. They in turn will send details of your application to us.

Personal Public Service Number (PPS Number)

You must give your PPS Number and the PPS Number(s) of both your late spouse/civil partner and child(ren) for whom you intend to claim a payment. If you do not know these numbers, please contact your local Social Welfare Office. They will let you know your PPS number. If you do not have one they will let you know what you have to do to get one.

For more information, log on to 'www.welfare.ie'.     

Last modified:11/09/2017

 Application Forms