Invalidity Pension - SW44

Print page

If you are permanently incapable of work and you satisfy the PRSI and medical conditions, you may apply for an Invalidity Pension by contacting:

Invalidity Pension Claims Section
Social Welfare Services
Government Buildings
Ballinalee Road

Telephone: (043) 3340000

LoCall: 1890 92 77 70 (from the Republic of Ireland only)
+ 353 43 3340000 (from Northern Ireland or overseas)

Warning: If you do not claim in time, you may lose some payment.

Certificates needed with your claim

Make sure to send in the following certificates with your claim. There is no need to send in certificates if the birth or marriage, civil partnership or civil union occurred within the Republic of Ireland:

  • your birth certificate (if born outside the Republic of Ireland),
  • your spouse’s, civil partner’s or cohabitant’s birth certificate (if claiming an increase for them and they were born outside the Republic of Ireland),
  • your marriage certificate, civil partnership or civil union registration certificate (only if claiming an increase for your spouse or civil partner you were married or entered into a civil partnership or civil union outside the Republic of Ireland),
  • your qualified children’s birth certificates (if claiming a Qualified Child Increase and you are not getting Child Benefit for them and they were born outside the Republic of Ireland).
We do not accept photocopies of certificates.

Personal Public Service Number (PPS Number)

You must give your PPS Number and the PPS Number of your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant. You must also give us the PPS Number(s) for any child(ren) for whom you
intend to claim a payment. If you do not know these numbers, please contact your local Social Welfare Office. They will let you know your PPS number. If you do not have one they will let you know what you have to do to get one.
For more information, log on to
Your entire Invalidity Pension can be counted as income for tax purposes. Contact your local Tax Office for more information. 
Last modified:31/01/2016

 Application Forms