Invalidity Pension - SW44

Print page

If you are getting an Invalidity Pension you may also get:

  • Free Travel,
  • Fuel Allowance,
  • Living Alone Increase,
  • Household Benefit Package,
  • Island Allowance, and
  • Carer’s Allowance and Carer’s Benefit.

Free Travel

If you get an Invalidity Pension, you will get a Free Travel Pass automatically if you have registered for your Public Services Card. If you have not registered for a Public Services Card, you will be requested to register before your Free Travel Card issues to you.

You may qualify for a Companion Free Travel Pass if a doctor confirms that you cannot travel alone. This allows any one person, aged 16 or over, to join you on public transport, free of charge.

Fuel Allowance

You may get this allowance for 26 weeks from the end of September to April. It is subject to certain conditions, including that you live alone or with certain qualified people and that your household satisfies a means test.

Living Alone Increase

This increase is payable if you are living mainly or entirely alone.

Household Benefits Package

You may, subject to certain conditions, also qualify for:

  • Electricity, Natural Gas or Bottled Gas Refill Allowance,
  • Free Television Licence,

Island Allowance

This increase is payable if you normally live on an island off the coast of Ireland, regardless of your age. If you do not qualify for an Invalidity Pension from this Department and you are getting an equivalent payment from another EU country you may qualify for the Island Allowance.

Carer’s Allowance and Carer’s Benefit

A person may get Carer’s Allowance or Carer’s Benefit to look after you if you need full-time care and attention.

Since September 2007 it may be possible to get a half rate Carer’s Allowance in addition to getting an Invalidity Pension in your own right or if someone else is getting an increase for a qualified adult for you.

For more information on these other benefits, log on to

Last modified:31/01/2016

 Application Forms