Illness Benefit - SW 119

Print page

You should apply for Illness Benefit within 6 weeks of becoming ill. A delay of more than  6 weeks may cause you to lose some of your payment. If there is a good reason cause for the delay in applying, your payment may be backdated.
For more information, log on to

How to apply:


  1. go to a doctor and get a social welfare medical certificate (known as MED1), and an application form for Illness Benefit and Injury Benefit (known as an IB1). From 01st March 2019 closed certification for Illness Benefit was introduced, this means your doctor can provide you with one medical certificate to cover the entire duration of your expected absence from work..
  2.  complete the IB1 application form in full. Ensure you provide your own PPS number, and complete all sections and questions that are relevant to you, such as your spouse/civil partner/cohabitants details, and their income details if you wish to claim any increases on your claim.

  3. make sure you sign the declaration on the application form.
  1. post it to:
    Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection
    P.O. Box 1650
    Dublin 1.

  2. If you are returning to work earlier than anticipated please contact the department. You can contact us at either of the following phone numbers: Telephone: (01) 704 3300, LoCall 1890 92 84 00, If calling from outside the Republic of Ireland please call + 353 1 704 3300,  or by email to

The rates charged for using 1890 (LoCall) numbers may vary among different service providers.


  • You are not required to pay for a social welfare medical certificate as the Department pays the doctor an agreed fee.

  • Social welfare medical certificates (MED1) are not available on-line or from any office of the Department. They are only available from doctors who are on the Department's panel of medical certifiers.
Last modified:20/05/2019

 Application Forms