Illness Benefit - SW 119

Print page

To help you qualify for Illness Benefit you may combine your Irish PRSI contributions with your social insurance record from any country covered by EU Regulations (and also the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man which are covered under a Bilateral Agreement).

EU Regulations apply to people who travel and work within the European Economic Area (EEA). They allow workers to combine periods of social insurance in any of the EEA countries to help them qualify for a benefit or pension.

The countries covered by EU Regulations are:
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Republic of Cyprus (Cyprus South)
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • the Netherlands
  • the United Kingdom

Social insurance contributions paid in countries other than those listed above do not count for Illness Benefit purposes.

Under EU Regulations the country in which you were last insurably employed is generally responsible for paying you while you are unable to work due to an illness or injury.

If you live in Ireland and last worked in another country covered by EU Regulations

  • Send your application for Illness Benefit to this Department and specify the EU country in which you were last employed.
  • We will send your application to that country and contact you about any further action regarding your application.

If you live in Ireland and last worked in Ireland, but previously worked in another country (or countries) covered by EU Regulations

You may combine your insurance record in the other country (or countries) with your Irish PRSI contributions to help you qualify for benefit. Send your application to this Department with details of your employment in the other country/countries, or form E104 which you should request from the Social Security Office of the country/countries where you previously worked.

Form E104 is a record of social security contributions you have paid while employed in countries covered by EU Regulations. It is used only when applying for sickness benefit in the EEA area.

If you do not have form E104 we will get your insurance record for you using the information you have provided.

Last modified:19/07/2019

 Application Forms