Carer's Benefit - SW49

Print page

You will qualify if you, the carer:

  • have been employed for 8 weeks during the previous 26 weeks,
  • have enough PRSI contributions,
  • give up employment to care for somebody full-time (this employment must have been for at least 16 hours a week or 32 hours a fortnight),
  • are not self-employed or employed outside the home for more than 15 hours a week (see Section 4), and
  • are not living in a hospital, convalescent home or other similar institution.

The person you are caring for must:

  • need full-time care and attention (a medical certificate is required), and
  • not normally live in a hospital, home or other similar institution.

If you are caring for a child on Domiciliary Care Allowance from the Health Service Executive, you do not need to supply a medical certificate or be the person who receives that allowance on the child's behalf

If two or more people are sharing caring duties, only one carer can claim the benefit.

Last modified:14/06/2018

 Application Forms