You will qualify if you, the carer:
- have been employed for 8 weeks during the previous 26 weeks,
- have enough PRSI contributions,
- give up employment to care for somebody full-time (this employment must have been for at least 16 hours a week or 32 hours a fortnight),
- are not self-employed or employed outside the home for more than 15 hours a week (see
Section 4), and
- are not living in a hospital, convalescent home or other similar institution.
The person you are caring for must:
- need full-time care and attention (a medical certificate is required), and
- not normally live in a hospital, home or other similar institution.
If you are caring for a child on Domiciliary Care Allowance from the Health Service Executive, you do not need to supply a medical certificate or be the person who receives that allowance on the child's behalf
If two or more people are sharing caring duties, only one carer can claim the benefit.