How do I qualify

Print page

You will qualify for the increase if you are getting one of the

following social welfare payments:

a) if you are under age 66

  • Invalidity Pension
  • Disability Allowance
  • Blind Pension
  • Incapacity Supplement

b) or if you are aged 66 or over

  • State Pension (Contributory)
  • State Pension (Non-Contributory)
  • Widow’s, Widower’s or Surviving Civil Partner’s Contributory Pension
  • Widow’s, Widower’s or Surviving Civil Partner’s Pension under the Occupational Injuries Benefit Scheme
  • Incapacity Supplement
  • you live completely alone in a self-contained house, apartment, flat or mobile home, or
  • you live mainly alone.

We regard you as living mainly alone if:

  • you live alone but a relative with a permanent address elsewhere comes to stay with you at weekends to assist you, or
  • you live alone but occasionally take in a paying guest, for example during a local festival, or
  • you live alone by day but, for security reasons, either you sleep in a neighbour’s or friend’s home or they sleep in your home. You will qualify for the increase in this way only if you and your neighbour or friend have separate permanent addresses and do not stay in each other’s home each day or eat main meals together regularly.

If you run a bed and breakfast business, even for only part of the year, you will not qualify for the increase.
You must tell us immediately if your circumstances change and you no longer live completely alone or mainly alone after being awarded the Living Alone Increase.

Last modified:04/04/2013

 Application Forms