How do I qualify?

Print page

You may qualify for Fuel Allowance if you are:

  • Resident in the state,


  • getting one of the following qualifying payments:
  • Jobseeker's Allowance (after 15 months)*,
  • Basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance (after 15 months),
  • Farm Assist,
  • One-Parent Family Payment
  • Jobseeker's Allowance Transition,
  • Blind Pension,
  • Deserted Wife's Benefit or Allowance,
  • Disability Allowance,
  • Invalidity Pension,
  • State Pension (Contributory or Non-Contributory),
*This includes those on casual Jobseeker’s Allowance for
over 15 months. Time spent getting Jobseeker’s Benefit
counts towards the 15 months, if the Jobseeker’s Benefit
claim was immediately before the award of Jobseeker’s
  • Guardian's Payment (Contributory or Non-Contributory),
  • Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partners Pension (Contributory or Non-Contributory),
  • Pre-Retirement Allowance (abolished for new claims since 4 July 2007),
  • Incapacity Supplement under the Occupational Injury Benefit Scheme,
  • Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection Employment Support Schemes and Revenue Job Assist (see Section 1.6.4 of the fuel operational guidelines).
  • Social Security Payment from a country covered by EU Regulations or a country with which Ireland has a bilateral Social Security Agreement (of which there is an Irish equivalent payment),


  • you live alone or only with:
  1.  a qualified spouse, civil partner, cohabitant or qualified child(ren),
  2. a person in receipt of a qualifying payment who would be entitled to the allowance in their own right (please note that the contributory payments listed above are qualifying payments subject to satisfying a means test);
  3. a person who is getting Carer's Allowance or Carer's Benefit in respect of providing full-time care and attention to the Fuel Allowance applicant or their own qualified spouse, civil partner, cohabitant or qualified child(ren)*,
  4. a person getting short-term Jobseeker’s Allowance or Basic SWA (less than 15 months,
  • be able to provide for their heating needs from the resources of their household.  A person applying for a fuel allowance must satisfy a means test.  All recipients of non-contributory payments are accepted as satisfying the means test.

* A qualified child is under age 18 or aged 18 to 22 if in full-time education. If a child turns 18 while in full-time education and you are getting Jobseeker’s Allowance (for less than 15 months), Jobseeker’s Benefit, Illness Benefit or Supplementary Welfare Allowance, they will remain a qualified child only until they finish full-time education or until the following 30 June, whichever is earlier.

If you are getting Natural Gas or Electricity Allowance under the Household Benefits Package and you use gas or electricity for your heating, you may also be entitled to Fuel Allowance.

Last modified:13/02/2017

 Application Forms