Must I have a solicitor?

Print page

No. If you like, you can present your own case. Indeed, the social welfare appeals system is designed so that you may put your own case to the Appeals Officer.

If you wish, you can bring along a representative, for example a community worker, trade union official or a person from a Citizens Information Centre to help you present your case or just to give you support.

Alternatively, you may employ a solicitor. However, you must pay the legal costs yourself.

Last modified:08/10/2010

 Application Forms