Ireland/Canadian Social Security Agreement - SW84

Print page

In general, you are subject to the Social Security legislation of the country where you work.

Therefore, if you come to work in Ireland you will normally be subject to Irish social security law and pay social insurance (PRSI) contributions here.

Similarly, if you go to work in Canada, you will be subject to the Canadian social security laws and may have to pay social security contributions there.

Temporary Assignments

If you are sent by an Irish employer to work in Canada on a temporary assignment, you will continue to pay Irish PRSI contributions up to the first 24 months years of your employment in Canada. If the period of assignment exceeds 24 months an extension may be considered.

Therefore, if you are at present working in Ireland and are being sent to work in Canada on a temporary assignment, you or your employer should contact the following section:

PRSI Special Collections
Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection
Cork Road

Telephone: (01) 4715898
LoCall: 1890 690 690
If you are calling from outside the Republic of Ireland please call +353 14 715898.

Note: The rates charged for using 1890 (LoCall) numbers may vary among different service providers.

This should be done as early as possible, so that the necessary forms and advice can be given.

Last modified:08/03/2011

 Application Forms